Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Guestblog: Recommended by Tamara

Want to escape the 9-5 mundane working desk-feeders & become a part of the live anywhere, work from anywhere, ‘New Rich?’ So do I…
I’ve been reading ‘The 4 Hour Work Week,’ by Timothy Ferriss…
Learning about how to cut the fat, basically...Stop doing things that take up too much time: Obsessively checking your Facebook page every 30 minutes, or running 5 instant messaging programs at once, or even the simple errands you feel you need to run every day. He also refers to a way of thinking, called the 80/20 Principle, which is brilliant. Only 20% of the things we do directly effect our productivity. That means 80% is just the filler, or bullshit – as I like to say. Now, I’m not necessarily going to walk away from reading this book working 4 hours a week and outsourcing my menial tasks to personal hired assistants in foreign countries (yes, there’s a chapter on this)…But I am seriously digging deeper at what it is that I want to be doing with my skills, and with my free time. The problem with so many of us, is that we complain about work, ‘I’m so bored…’ or ‘My job sucks…’ – but when you’re faced with the question: If your bills were paid and you had money in the bank, with plenty of free time to do whatever you pleased – what would fill your time? What are these dreams you’re being held back from? Yep, its making me think… The lifestyle of the ‘new rich’ centers around valuing your time…who said that retirement has to be for our geriatric years? Ferriss outlines all the ways you can work as little as possible, do what you want, and realize your dreams. May sound a bit sugary, but I’m gonna give the book a whirl, and see what happens. To buy it now, and for more excerpts from the book, tips & the author’s blog CLICK HERE. To check out July's White Hart accessories feature with Tamara CLICK HERE.

No comments: